Thursday, January 8, 2009

Shutout on the Yuba again


The Lower Yuba River is a place I always dream about, but when I get there it is always a nightmare. True, my first outing of 2009 was no different; it was awesome for the people I met there. People like Bob, who used to own a Fly Shop in Yuba City. Or David, who provided me some secrets to area surrounding Hammond Grove Park. Also, I met another fly caster, who I rapped w/ on FishSniffer.com. Darrin has been fly-casting for about the same amount of time that I have.

Scene on the Lower Yuba this time was pretty awesome. The river was flowing, but not raging. The water was very clear. I did see some hatches and I did see some fish. I believe my problem for this shutout was two fold. First, I couldn’t seem to get my flies down deep enough in the current. At first I was using a sinking line, but my leader was too long. Secondly, I don’t think I was using the proper flies. I was trying to use nymphs, but I think the ones that I was using were too big. Also, I didn’t match the hatch. The gray mayflies that were over the place, I didn’t produce anything like them. I shall return the Lower Yuba however, a bit more confident & ready to finally snag one out of this awesome place. Also, I need to get a picture of this place for my blog. My camera was out of juice, so I couldn’t have a picture w/ this entry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Robdog,,,Captain Morgan here.Cool Blog site. GL, I might take the wife out to Englebrite this weekend for some trolling & relaxing.But I can't wait to hit the Yuba again.I need to understand how,before i'm going to catch fish on the river. Will have to meet out there some day.

January 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home