Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Lost Outings

I know that I have been slacking as of late in updating my blog. I have been fishing about once a week, but I would like to do more. I have too many responsibilities that I cannot avoid at the moment. Still, a lot has happened since my last post. The biggest accomplishment that I have achieved at the moment is that I have taken up fly tying. I have been mainly concentrating on tying woolly buggers. I have attempted to tie the Cone head Silver Hilton and various Matukas. So far, I have had more success on the water with the Matukas and buggers. My favorite to date is this simple creation that I have named the Cream Bomber.
It is just a bugger with a chartreuse chenille body and olive marabou tail. Wrap olive hackle wrapped around the body, to finish the fly.

We had a good winter here in Northern Cali & our rivers show this, with the snow melt is flowing out the Sierras heavily.
Back in the beginning of April, I met up with one of my best fly fishing buddies, Foresthill Fly Guy (ok that is his handle on the internet)
We tried to fish on both the Middle Fork of the American river and the North Fork of Middle Fork of the American river. In both places, the current was too strong to fight in order to get out to where the trout are hiding. So I had to change the target species to Bass. I have been out to the Delta, Rancho Seco Lake, the ponds of Rancho Murrieta, & Cameron Park Lake.
I have had some success with my flies. Black Bass have aggressively hit them. The problem is how I get them into my net. Fishing is a lot like soccer. You have to put the fish\ball into the net for a score. I have lost a few flies to some hungry Bass, which have broke me off. However, I do believe I found a solution to that, use stronger tippet material. Of course with my luck my float tube has sprung a leak. I think I might have fixed the damn thing, but now I need to explore the idea of obtaining a better seaworthy vessel. So now that we are beginning to start May, I look forward in getting even more time on the water. Tight lines my friendly anglers!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home